Sunday, May 9, 2010

Small Town Living

A few years ago, almost 4 years ago, we moved to a small town. A town where we thought we could build a better life for our kids and ourselves. A place where the schools were rated exceptionally well and small classroom sizes. A place that would feel like home, a place where the people are friendlier and nicer. I think that we have found some of this and some of it I think is completely unobtainable. Yes, we got the small town. So small that we have only one gas station and a grocery store. We have a flashing light on the corner of the one main street in town, that just so happens to be called Main Street. It is a quaint little town. We got the good schools that I so desperately wanted for my kids. My kids got good friendships that I am certain they will have for life. I have a home that I love...although, it seems I have to hear on a regular basis how the other three that live her would like to have stairs. I love the small town...I love the way it is well kept. BUT the one thing that I do not like is that I did not grow up here...and many, many people did grow up here as did their entire families for many generations, which in turn makes me an outsider and I will always be an outsider no matter how long I live here. I think there maybe hope for my kids...we came here when Kylie was in 4th grade and Dylan in 2nd...so there has to be hope for them.
It is weird how even my neighbors keep to themselves. Is this just where I live? or is this just the way of people now a days? I know the names of my neighbors directly across the street and next door to me. I seem to know all of the kids in the neighborhood or most of them, the ones that play at my house anyway. I know who the parents are of a few of my kids friends...I actually know them by name and have shared a meal or a conversation with them. Some of the other parents I know that they belong to suzie or johnny....but not much more than that. It seems those are the parents that have lived her their entire lives...as if they are islanders. (Islanders are known to be quite conservative with outsiders.) As if there is some secret that I am not allowed in on. At school functions, I feel it. At church, I feel it. I am not sure what it is or how to describe it, but it is there and it is real. I know I love where I live..and I am here to stay...do you hear me, Islanders?

1 comment:

  1. I feel ya hear too...We moved to a fairly small town up here in MI about 5yrs ago...I refer to it as Mayberry. The town is great for our children but I am sending them to the "country school" because some seem to feel intitled here to what I am not sure...BUT we are staying and my kids will have great memories of tree lined streets and not hellicopters flying overhead with the spot lights shining down; good times good times. :)

    ReplyDelete