Monday, April 26, 2010

I am Married...but it does not define me.

Today a very weird cord was struck with me. On Facebook today, I had someone ask me if I were available and they commented that I didn't have my marriage status listed as such when I told them I was married. This really bothered me...yes, I am married, but just that word does not define who I am. I hate that more than anything, probably because I have seen my mother and so many other women, family and friends, lose themselves in the title of MRS. I told myself years ago, before I ever got married that I would never lose myself in marriage. I am Tracy! I am strong! I am confident! I am a Christian. I am Mike's wife. I am Kylie's mom. I am Dylan's mom.I am a nurse. I am all of these things, however, I choose to be known as Tracy! Tracy Bruce even works for me, but MRS doesnt work for me...I, for myself, find that offensive. I find that that makes me property of someone else. I am no one's property. I belong to no one. I am married by choice, not because I am someone's property. I am sure that this will make some offended, but I really cannot consume myself with that. I will not be defined by someone else. I will not allow myself to be just someone's wife. I am not even sure if Mike realizes this, but nonetheless, he has learned to not argue with me when my views are so strong. He would be fighting a losing battle. Now, I love my family and all that that entails, but I love them because I love me. And I cannot love me, if I lose who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment