Sunday, March 14, 2010

Donate Life

Today I was viewing the Donate Life website, wanted to see what was new and updated and actually wanted to look for job opportunites. I cannot remember where I looked for this information last time, but I didn't find what I was looking for. It is ultimately what I want to do...work in organ procurement. I almost took a job with the organ procurement company before I went to work at Loyola, but the hours were too long for my kids lives. I did today, however, filled out that information to volunteer with the company. I think maybe this is what I might be looking for...I could learn what i need to know and then maybe transition into a staff position. I am not sure what it would entail, but I am anxious to find out. I have first hand experience with organ donation; my brother was a recepient and I am a nurse who works on a unit where heart and lung tansplants take place. It is the most amazing thing to me...giving of yourself or your loved ones in such a time of turmoil. I have witnessed how it changes lives. I went on a procurement run almost a year ago, and it was the highlight of my career. I have the nursing side to it and I have the family part of it...a good comination, if I say so myself. I remember fully placing my hand upon Chad's chest and feeling his new heart beat and I remember crying tears of joy that he was alive and tears of sadness for the donor and his or her family. There is still not a day that goes by that I do not think of my brother's donor. So I am looking forward to this new adventure...maybe it will be where I am suppose to be...just maybe.

1 comment: