Monday, November 2, 2009

love goes on and on

Death is a rather hard concept for most to understand...I am not really sure that anyone really truly understands death....Sure, it is the process or lack of process where the body no longer functions...the time when time is up. Maybe, we can begin to wrap our minds around it, but can we ever really get our hearts to understand?

This is something that I have thought about many times. I have buried my mom, and my brother and there are many, many times that I have picked up the phone to call or thought I can not wait to tell them this, that, or the other. So many times I have wanted to let them know about so many things...the things the kids have done, finishing college, starting a new job, or just matters of the heart. My mind knows they are gone...but my heart, my heart will never understand.

Today is the day that we are going to go to the hall and have a memorial service for my father-in-law. A day to remember the good times, and maybe the little silliness or quirkiness of his ways. Hopefully, it will be a day of laughter and not so many tears. A day of finding the positive in all of this tragedy. But I am sure there are many sad days to come...days of trying to find closure.

For most a funeral service is a two-fold....a very sad time, a time of loss, and it is also a time for closure...a time to see the body to try and convince your heart what your mind has been told. This death of Mike's father is going to be a little more difficult for Mike....his dad was on vacation....in the place that he loved...when he passed unexpectantly....Mike wasnt there, he didnt get to see him...didnt get the chance to see what his mind was told....no real way to convince his heart. No real closure. I know what it is like to lose a parent, but I had the chance to say goodbye....for Mike his dad just went on vacation...only to never return.
I do pray that Mike can find closure, that he will find a way to say goodbye, a way to let go and a way to realize that love doesn't end in death....love is something that goes on and on.

1 comment:

  1. Closure comes in many ways, no way is the right way to say good-bye for a long long time! It's tough stuff, I continue to pray for you, Mike and both of the kids! I am so sorry for how he passed, I am so thankful Mike has you to help him through it!

    ReplyDelete